Last Sunday the Senior B, Year 10A and Year 9A
This week and until the end of this Term SGHS
It was a chilly start for our Senior A Football
A fantastic game of rugby for the SGHS 1st XV
It may have been chilly and muddy – but that
Amazing effort in the weekend from one of our Senior
Information and registrations
Aerobics Southland Regionals 2021 is held on 31st July 2021. Please click HERE to access the permission form and information.
Teacher in Charge of Aerobics: Miss Pip Paulin
Sports Captain for Aerobics: Sophie Burns
ATHLETICS SOUTHLAND CHAMPIONSHIP 2021 INFORMATION
The 2021 Southland Athletics Championships is held at Surrey Park on:
- Saturday 13 March 2021
Teacher in Charge of Athletics: Mr Gordon Lamont
Sport Captain for Athletics: Georgia Ellis
Term 3 Badminton Years 7 - 13
The Term 3 Interschool Badminton Competition is a 6 week competition that students play in teams of three. Each student will play singles and two doubles against teams from other Invercargill schools. Racquets are provided if your daughter doesn't have one.
Students in Year 9 - 13 can enter to play in either the Monday or Tuesday competition. Year 7 - 8 students will play on a Thursday.
- Venue: Badminton Hall, Surrey Park
- Who: Year 9 - 13 teams and Year 7-8 teams
- Monday's Year 9 - 13 teams, starts 09 August 2021
- Tuesday's Year 9 - 13 teams, starts 10 August 2021
- Thursday's Year 7 - 8 teams, starts 19 August 2021
- Time: from 4pm - 5:15pm
- Cost: $30.00 per student - due by Wednesday 28 July 2021
- Please note: School procedures is full payment must be received by the due date for your child to be eligible to play the first game. If payment and permission form is not completed by the due date your child will be withdrawn from the team. Once payment has been made and competition commenced there will be no refunds. Payments will be allocated to any unpaid fees and charges on your child's account first.
- Uniform: All players are to wear SGHS PE Uniform and non marking sport shoes.
- Permission Form closes on Wednesday 28 July
Teacher in Charge of Badminton: Mrs Ainslee Wilson
Sport Captain for Badminton: Pearl Bir
SENIOR BASKETBALL - Term 2, Year 9 - 13
The 2021 SBA Secondary School Basketball League will commence this year on Friday, 14 May 2021 and be run on Friday nights at ILT Stadium Southland and school gyms.
Competition length may vary dependent on number of teams entered but will be approximately 10 - 11 weeks.
- Venue: Played at ILT Stadium Southland and or local High Schools
- Draw: online draws and results can be found HERE
- Cost: $85.00 per player for Senior A grade / $80 per player for all other players
- Payment: due by Friday, 28 May. Payment must be paid in full by this date for your child to play. All payments made will be allocated to any outstanding fees/charges first on your child's account.
- Uniform: all players will be provided a SGHS Basketball singlet and students are to wear white socks, and plain navy blue shorts. Mouthguards are compulsory.
- Practices: A training roster will be displayed in the SGHS Sports Office
- Duty: all teams are expected to do duty through out the season
Please complete the permission form below by clicking the tab:
Permission form closes Friday 28 May.
Teacher in Charge of Basketball: Mrs Jess Huia
Sport Captain for Basketball: Charlee Templeton
Year 7/8 Girls Smash Cricket
- Venue: Queen's Park Cricket Oval, 150 Gala Street
- When: Monday's ALL games start at 3:45 pm. Season has now finished for the year.
National Primary School Shield
This is a Twenty20 school based competition for girls in Year 7 and 8. The Otago/Southland competition commences in Term 1 with the winner progressing to the National Finals to be held in Term 4 of 2021.
Year 9 - 13 Cricket (Gillette Venus Cup Competition)
The Otago/Southland competition commences in Term 1 with the winner progressing to the National Finals to be held in December in Palmerston North. All games are Twenty20.
The Otago winner is awarded the Bates Cup.
Teacher in Charge of Cricket: Mr Steve Jackson
Year 7/8 Cross Country
All students are to register their interest in the Sports Office - students to keep an eye on the Daily Notices for further information about Cross Country.
Primary Schools Cross Country is held on Friday 18 June 2021.
Information to come.
FUTSAL TERM 3 - Year 7 and 8
Any Year 7/8 girls interested in playing Futsal in the Stadium on Monday nights between 3:30 – 6:00 pm from August to mid-September see Mr Peters in the Gym.
FOOTBALL – GIRLS COLLEGE LEAGUE
- Cost: $65.00 per player - to be paid by 28 May 2021. School procedures is full payment must be received by the due date for your child to be eligible to play the first game. If payment and permission form is not completed by the due date your child will be withdrawn from the team. Once payment has been made and competition commenced there will be no refunds. Payments will be allocated to any unpaid fees and charges on your child's account first.
- Dates: Starts Wednesday 9 June, with the finals to be played on or about 18 August 2021
- Games: Played between 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm, with travelling times from 2:45 to 6:30 pm approximately, at the following venues: SGHS, Central Southland College, Menzies College, James Hargest College, Verdon College, Northern Southland College. Students will be transported to games in a van or car driven by the coach, manager or a parent.
- Uniform: All players will be supplied with a SGHS playing shirt and shorts but must provide their own red socks, shin pads and boots.
- Practices: Monday 3:15 pm – 4:30 pm approx. Your child must attend all practices and games. If she is unable to attend, she must advise her coach as soon as possible of her unavailability.
Permission Form Closes on Friday 4th June at 3pm.
Teacher in Charge of Football: Mr Eddie Peters
Sport Captain for Football: Ashlynn Scherp
Year 7/8 Gymsports Club
All students who participate in Gym Club can be in the SGHS teams participating in the Invercargill Gymsport Festival which is traditionally held the Sunday before the last week of Term 3. The date will be confirmed in Term 3 by the Invercargill Gym Club.
- What: Gymsport is gymnastics that caters for all levels from beginner to expert. It involves individual activities and skill development as well as group interaction and presentation.
- Who: This is for Year 7 and 8 students to participate in. Senior students help run the sessions and coach the teams. Teachers will also assist with coaching and overall supervision and organisation.
- When: This group will meet once a week after school – starting every Thursday from 27 May 2021 for the rest of Term 2 and 3 from 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm. In Term 3 before the Gym Festival, practices will extend to some lunch times too.
- Where: In the SGHS Old Gym
- Cost: $20.00 per student – due by Friday 21 May 2021
Hockey Season 2021
When: Hockey is played over Term 2 and 3, and starts Monday 10 May for Year 9 - 13 and Thursday 13 May for Year 7/8. The season finishes in August of Term 3 (end date will be confirmed closer to the time).
- Year 9 – 13 play on Monday or Tuesday nights
- Year 7 and 8 play Thursday nights
Where: Invercargill Hockey Turf
Draw: All games are between 4 pm – 6 pm. The draw will be made available via the Hockey Southland App - this can be downloaded via the Apple store or GooglePlay Store. Our Sports Office will also have the draw available each week on the Sports Noticeboard at school.
Tournaments: SGHS enter teams in the Southland Wide Competition. The Senior A Team attend the Triangular tournament in Dunedin and will attend a SISS Tournament in Winter Tournament week (Venue to be confirmed).
Trainings: Trainings are held on Monday nights. First training will be Monday, 3 May. If your child is not able to attend a practice please advise the team coach/manager as soon as possible. There will be no training on Monday 7th June due to Queens Birthday.
- Year 7/8, SGHS Red and SGHS Blue Teams: 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Senior A/B teams: 7 pm - 8 pm
Permission Form/Hockey Guidelines: SGHS permission form/payment, due Friday 7 May 2021.
By clicking on the link below you will be able to read the Hockey Guidelines and further information. The permission form is also attached to the link. Please complete the permission form if your child is playing in a SGHS Hockey Team.
For any questions please contact our Teacher in Charge of Hockey, Mrs Sarah Rabbitt.
Teacher in Charge of Hockey: Mrs Sarah Rabbitt
Sports Captain for Hockey: Renee Zwagerman
Netball Season 2021
Our season starts in April and goes through until August. SGHS enter teams in the Invercargill Netball Centre competition as well as send teams to various Secondary School Tournaments across the South Island.
Season Start Dates:
- Open Grades: Saturday 10 April Grading
- Secondary School Grades: Saturday 22 May Grading
Please click HERE to view Senior Team lists.
Trainings: if your child is unable to attend a practice please let the team manager/coach know as soon as possible.
- Senior A/B: Tuesday and Thursday, 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Year 10A: Wednesdays, 7:00 am - 8:00 am
- Year 7/8: to be confirmed - please see Mrs Huia
Please click on the button below to register for access to the INC Sporty App.
Permission Forms, Guidelines and Information:
By clicking on the link below you will be able to read the netball guidelines and further information relating to your child's netball grade. The permission form is also attached to the link. Please complete the permission form if your child is playing in a SGHS Netball Team.
If you have any questions regarding Netball at SGHS please contact:
Teacher in Charge of Netball: Mrs Jess Huia
Sport Captain for Netball: Lucy Shirley
Paddles Up is from Saturday 6 - Sunday 7 March 2021.
Information to come.
SOUTHLAND UNDER 18 GIRLS RUGBY COMPETITION
CONTACT: Nathan Muir - Teacher in charge of Rugby at SGHS. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone 03 211 6030 extn. 854
COST: $130.00 per student. Full payment due by Friday 9 July 2021.
School procedures is full payment must be received by the due date for your child to be eligible to play the first game. If payment and permission form is not completed by the due date your child will be withdrawn from the team. Once payment has been made and competition commenced there will be no refunds. Payments will be allocated to any unpaid fees and charges on your child's account first.
Uniform cost's are at your own expense, please see below for uniform requirements.
PLAYER REGISTRATION: Mr Muir will send a link through for player registration/agreement which is set by Rugby NZ.
- All games in the competition round kick-off at 4:00 pm.
- Games on Monday, 28 June and Monday, 05 July kick-off times yet to be confirmed.
- Draw will be released by Rugby Southland by Friday, 18 June.
- Parents/Whānau will be emailed regarding details of pre-season game vs Columba.
- Teams entered in the competition are: SGHS 1st XV, SGHS 2nd XV, Verdon combined, Central Southland College (CSC), Eastern combined.
|Monday 21 June||1st XV Game vs Columba College in Dunedin||Monday 16 August|
|Monday 28 June||2 x 30 minute games for all teams||Monday 23 August|
|Monday 5 July||2 x 30 minute games for all teams||Monday 23 August|
|Monday 26 July||Round 1||Monday 30 August||No rugby due to Winter Tournament Week|
|Monday 2 August||Monday 6 September||First place team goes straight through to the final on 13 September
Semi Finals 2 v 3 winner goes through to the final.
4 v 5 play off for 4th.
|Monday 9 August||Monday 13 September||Final|
VENUE: To be confirmed once draw is released by Rugby Southland on or before Friday, 18 June.
Southland Girls High School will use Oreti Park, Sandy Point as our home grounds. Once the draw is finalised and released by Rugby Southland it will be emailed to all whānau/parents and students.
- Rugby Tops: SGHS will provide the correct playing jersey for all players. This must be returned at the end of the season or when requested throughout the season or you will be charged $110.00 for a replacement.
- Socks: can be purchased through the school at a subsidised cost of $5.00. Please see Mr Muir to organise.
- Navy blue shorts, rugby boots and a mouth-guard are compulsory uniform requirements.
If you need assistance in sourcing/purchasing any of the uniform requirements please contact Teacher in Charge, Nathan Muir.
TRANSPORT: All departure and arrival times will be confirmed by email once the draw has been finalised and released by Rugby Southland. Teams will be transported by bus.
Typical departure and arrival times based on previous season seasons are:
- Vs Eastern Girls at St Peters College, depart SGHS at 2:15 pm and return 7:00 pm
- Vs Central Southland College, depart SGHS at 2:30 pm and return 6:15 pm
- Vs Verdon Combined at Verdon College, depart SGHS at 3:00 pm and return 5:30 pm
- Home Games at Oreti Park depart SGHS at 2:50 pm and return 5:45 pm
OTHER INFORMATION: We take injury prevention at Southland Girls High School very seriously and a major part of that is the disclosure of injuries from players, families and whānau. If your child has sustained an injury, no matter how minor we need to know about it so we can respond appropriately through our training and games. If you require any further information around identifying and managing injuries please follow the link below.
Please ensure you have read and understood the SGHS Extra Curricular Guidelines:
SOUTHLAND SECONDARY SCHOOL UNDER 15 RUGBY COMPETITION
COACHES: Maima Afutu. Rugby Smart accredited and registered as a coach with the NZRU. Provincial Representative Coach. NZRU Level 1 accredited coach currently working towards Level 2. Nathan Muir: ACC Rugby Smart and registered with the NZRU.
CONTACT: Nathan Muir is the Teacher in Charge of Rugby - contact him in relation to all things Rugby at SGHS Nathan.Muir@southlandgirls.school.nz
|17 May||James Hargest College|
|24 May||Te Anau Rugby Club|
|31 May||St Peters College, Gore|
|14 June||Central Southland College|
|21 June||Invercargill Venue TBC (likely Oreti Park)|
|28 June||Finals Day Oreti Park|
FORMAT: Two games per round
- 10 a-side (5 forwards and 5 backs) plus substitutions
- Rolling substitutions
- Non-contested scrums
- 2 x 20 minute games each week
REGISTRATION: Every player must be registered with the New Zealand Rugby Union. You will be emailed a link which will take you to the registration form.
This must be completed by Thursday, 26 August 2021.
TRANSPORT: Players will be transported by bus and/or van to and from the venues.
UNIFORM: The students will be supplied with a SGHS Rugby Jersey prior to the competition starting. They will be required to return it to Mr Muir after their last game of Round 4 or they will be charged for a replacement. Navy Blue Shorts and SGHS Rugby socks are to be worn for all games. Socks can be ordered from school for $15.00 - email Mr Muir if you require some. Mouthguards and Rugby Boots are compulsory for all games and trainings.
TRAININGS: Training times will be at lunch times. Any changes to training times Mr Muir will email players and Parents/Whanau.
COST: $55.00 which covers team gear, transport, entry fees and relief cost, full amount is due by Friday 11 June 2021.
PERMISSION FORM: to be completed by Friday 11 June 2021.
Please ensure you have read and understood the SGHS Extra Curricular Guidelines:
Teacher in Charge of Rugby: Mr Nathan Muir
Sport Captain for Rugby: Jamie Owen-Gear
Secondary School Sport Events
For all information regarding entering these events, please visit Mrs Huia in the Meeting House. She will assist with event information and registration details.
- Matariki Sport & Rec Festival Day - Thursday 01 July
- Southland Table Tennis Champs - Wednesday 07 July
- SISS Junior Netball Tournament - Monday 12 - Wednesday 14 July
Information to come.
Squash Whack n Run - Term 3
Squash Southland offer a fun after school squash programme, held in Term 3 and runs for 6 weeks.
- Year 7 & 8: Wednesdays, 4 August - 22 September
- Year 9 - 13: Thursdays, 5 August - 23 September
- Cost: $30 per student - full payment due by Friday 18 June 2021. School procedures is full payment must be received by the due date for your child to be eligible to play the first game. If payment and permission form is not completed by the due date your child will be withdrawn from the team. Once payment has been made and competition commenced there will be no refunds. Payments will be allocated to any unpaid fees and charges on your child's account first.
- Time: 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm
- Venue: ILT Stadium Southland Squash Courts
- Transport: Students are responsible for making their own way to the venue
- Equipment: Some rackets are provided by the organisers
- Uniform: SGHS PE Uniform to be worn, non-marking shoes and safety eye wear required (eyewear is provided by Squash Southland).
- Permission Form: closes on Friday 18 June, 3pm.
Teacher in Charge of Squash: Mrs Nicola Hawkes
Secondary Schools Swimming Champs are held at Splash Palace.
Teacher in Charge of Swimming Sports: Mrs Nic Hawkes
Sport Captain for Aquatics/Swimming: Milli Low
INVERCARGILL SECONDARY MODULE – Term 4 2021
Venue: Turnbull Thomson Park, Lindisfarne Street, Invercargill
Time: Games will be played between 4pm and 6pm on Thursday, starting Term 4
Format: 4 weeks of double games, plus two catch up days if required
Draw: available on the Touch Southland website, click HERE to view
Field Layout: click HERE to view the field layout map
Trainings: to be confirmed
Dates Term 4 2021
To be confirmed.
Catch up days if required
Teacher in Charge of Touch Rugby: Mrs Jess Huia
Sport Captain for Touch Rugby: Lucy Hall
Volleyball season has now finished.
Any questions regarding Volleyball at SGHS please contact:
Teacher in Charge of Volleyball: Mrs Courtney Smith
Sport Captain for Volleyball: Renee Wright
Water Polo 2021
- Venue: Splash Palace
- When: Friday nights, games start from 4pm. Played over Term 1 and Term 4.
- Draw: Please click HERE to view the draw on the Southland Waterpolo website
TERM 4 (information to come)
Year 7 and 8 Teams
Senior A/B Teams
- Senior A Team:
- Senior B Team:
Teacher in Charge of Water Polo: Mrs Jess Huia
Sport Captain for Water Polo: Milli Low
Winter Tournament Week
If your child is competing in the Winter Sports Tournament Week, please click on the corresponding sport button below to view information and complete the permission form for your child: