Code of Practice

Southland Girls’ High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

A link to the Code is available from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website: Click here 


Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on the Immigration New Zealand website.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on the Ministry of Health website.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand. Southland Girls’ High School uses Uni-med for students and the master policy can be found here.

DRS (Disputes Resolution Scheme)

The DRS provides a free, faster and more effective process for students to resolve contractual and financial disputes with education providers.

Click Here for the:  iStudent Complaints website

FairWay Resolution Limited administers the DRS.

Further information about the DRS is available on the New Zealand Government’s Legislation website.

International Student Contract DRS Rules 2016 — NZ Legislation website


How to make a complaint

Any issues should be addressed to the International Department at Southland Girls’ High School in the first instance and we will endeavour to resolve any complaints.

NZQA can also provide guidelines on how to make a complaint. Click here.



Working & Living in NZ

Information about studying and living in New Zealand is available on the New Zealand Immigration website.

Tourism New Zealand

Information about New Zealand is available on the Tourism New Zealand website.

Contact details

School Stream App