As part of our Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) programme, all Year 9 students are being offered an Adventure Based Learning(ABL) day at the Adventure Southland Ropes course at their North Road base in Lorneville.
The day will be a mixture of team building exercises, climbing and abseiling the climbing wall. Engaging in the high ropes course and ultimate archery.
Whilst the day is not compulsory for Year 9 students to attend and school will be open as per usual for those students who opt not to go. We do encourage all our Year 9 students to attend and historically this has been a very popular day.
Students will go in their Academic Tutor classes, the dates are below.
This event contains risks, and the event is managed by school staff and Adventure Southland instructors who will manage risk and hazards according to the school and Adventure Southland’s safety management plan. While risks can be maintained to acceptable levels they cannot be totally eliminated. Some risk is retained for its learning and experiential value.
If you wish to come into school to view the safety management plan or have any questions, feel free to contact our Teacher in Charge of EOTC, Nathan Muir at firstname.lastname@example.org
It is important for safety reasons that students follow instructions given to them by all staff and follow all appropriate school rules. Behaviour by students that is deemed dangerous and puts themselves and/or others at undue risk will result in parents/caregivers getting phoned and asked to collect their child from Adventure Southland.
If your child would like to attend their allocated day please read through the following information and complete the permission form at the bottom. The form closes on Monday 27 February 2023.
- Wed 1 March: AT Classes 9AW/ 9LG / 9RM / Te Manawa Kaharoa (TMK)
- Thurs 2 March: AT Classes 9GL / 9LV / 9RS / Aiga
- Fri 3 March: AT Classes 9KG / 9MP / 9ST
- VENUE: Adventure Southland Ropes Course, 810 North Road, Lorneville. Ph 03 235 7191
- TRANSPORT: Depart SGHS at 9:00 am and return back in time for the afternoon buses at approx. 3:00 pm.
- Students and staff will be transported to and from the venue by GoBus.
- UNIFORM/GEAR REQUIREMENTS:
- Waterproof Jacket
- Warm mufti sports clothing
- Sneakers or closed in footwear (NO sandals, jandals or heels)
- Minimal jewellery
- Long hair must be tied back
- Any personal medication
- FOOD: bring plenty of food, including lunch. There is no opportunity to purchase food off-site. Full drink bottle of water.
- COST: $58.00 per student – full payment due by Monday 27 February 2023.
- Please note: School Policy requires payment in full for your child to be eligible to participate in this trip. Payments will be allocated to any unpaid fees and charges on your child’s account first.
- EXTRA INFORMATION:
- Supervision: Professional and qualified Adventure Southland instructors have been employed to facilitate and the run the day. Southland Girls’ High School staff member and Education Outside the Classroom co-ordinator Nathan Muir will also supervise.
- Cancellation: Adventure Southland’s ropes course is an all-weather activity. It is important that the students are prepared for all weather conditions, Adventure Southland have a warm common room and hot drinks are provided. Only in extreme weather conditions will there be a cancellation. There are no cancellation dates.
- Non-participants: Those students not taking part will be required to attend school and their classes as per normal.
Permission form is now closed.