During Term 3 our Year 7 students will take part in swimming lessons at Splash Palace. This will be part of their compulsory physical education programme.
There are alarming statistics of drownings amongst children and adults in New Zealand resulting from a lack of experience and education in the water. Therefore, we will be focusing on confidence in the water, swimming to survive, stroke development, and will also include skill and fun-based sections. Your child will be taught by a combination of qualified swim instructors, and teachers skilled in this area.
Our swimming booking starts on Monday 28 August 2023 and runs until Friday, 22 September 2023, 9:00 am – 10:00 am. Each class has 10 sessions each over the four weeks.
- Students will meet at school and will walk together to the pool at 8:50 am sharp.
- We recommend that students wear school regulation jackets to keep themselves warm on the walk back to school after swimming.
- We recommend the use of a swimming cap if your child is less confident in the water, and some may like to wear goggles also. No baggy t-shirts or casual shorts will be permitted. Swimming shorts/board shorts/rash type tops will be acceptable. (Please make sure everything is clearly named)
- If not swimming for any of these sessions, your child MUST have a note from home. If your child is not swimming over two consecutive weeks, the notes will be followed up with a phone call home.
- There is no cost for these lessons as they are funded by the ILT.
- Timetable: Classroom teachers will share their class timetable with the students.
We hope your child will enjoy and benefit from this section of her PE programme.
Please compete the permission form below by Friday 25 August 2023
"*" indicates required fields