We have been offered an exciting opportunity to attend the Growing Future Farmers Open Day at Wakefield Farm in Dipton on Tuesday 9th August 2022. Students will be shown what courses they offer, gain hands-on experience throughout the day and listen to past and present students from the course. This is another way to see what courses or careers are available in the Agricultural industry and we have never taken a class before. This is a great chance for our students to be fully immersed in the Agricultural industry for a day.
Growing Future farmers aims to accelerate the careers of school leavers from entry-level Essential Farm Skills through to Advanced Farm Skills and Business Management. We currently have past students Zane Flawn, Ruald Raath, Taurus-Peyton Harden, Sarah Harvey & Rebecca Barclay enrolled on the two-year course. The structured programmes offer an array of specialised industry training and development courses within the National Certificates – including cloud-based learning, on-farm workshops, independent study and group sessions.
This is combined with extensive practical work experience alongside experienced and motivated farmers who have signalled their intent by taking on students to grow the industry.
For your child to attend this day please read through the following information below and complete the permission form due Monday, 8 August 2022.
If you have any questions regarding this trip please get in touch with Mrs Mel Young, [email protected]
- Date: Tuesday 9 August 2022
- Time: Depart SGHS at 9:00 am / Return to SGHS at 3:00 pm
- Venue: Wakefield Farm, 194 Dipton Bush Road, Dipton, Southland.
- Who: Year 12/13 Agricultural classes
- Transport: School vans – driven by SGHS staff, Mrs Young and Mrs Cauldwell. All staff and students travelling inside the school vans will be required to wear a face mask.
- Uniform requirements: Students are to wear mufti clothing suitable for the weather conditions on the day. Sturdy covered in footwear e.g gumboots/tramping boots. Hat/Beanie and Gloves, warm waterproof jacket. Face masks may be required by the venue.
- Food: Students are to bring their lunch, plenty of snacks and a full drink bottle.
- Cost: $10.00 per student – full payment due by Monday 8 August 2022.
- Please note: Board financial procedure requires payment in full, by the due date for your child to purchase resources, participate in sports or attend trips/events. Payments received will be allocated to the oldest unpaid fees and charges owing on your child’s account first. Extra-curricular activities operate on a “pay before you play” policy.