Your child has expressed interest in playing rugby for SGHS in the girls Year 7/8 Southland Competition. This competition is a new initiative for 2022 and we are excited about welcoming our Year 7/8 players and whanau into the SGHS rugby community.
The players have already starting some training sessions with Rugby Southland Development officers in Term 2. At the start of Term 3 the players will be placed into teams. Our senior 1st XV players will be coaching the teams with our teacher in charge of rugby, Mr Nathan Muir overseeing all the teams. The coaches will all have participated and passed an ACC Rugby Smart course.
Please read through the following information and complete the permission form below – due by Thursday 25 August 2022.
If you have any questions regarding this competition please get in touch with our Teacher in Charge of Rugby, Mr Nathan Muir; [email protected]
- Dates: Mondays; 5 September / 12 September / 19 September / 26 September.
- Who: SGHS Year 7 / 8 students who have registered.
- Times: All games in the competition kick-off at 4 pm.
- Games are 1 per week and are 40 minutes long (20 minute halves).
- If there is an odd number of teams there will be a game of three halves to avoid a bye.
- Venues: All games will be played at one or two venues each week after school – depending on teams entries.
- Other Information:
- Games are played on a full field and are 10 a-side on the field at one time, (reserves allowed-maximum of 15 players per squad).
- Results are recorded however there is no points ladder for this competition.
- Once players are allocated in their teams, an email will be sent home by Mr Muir with a link to a NZ Rugby Union junior player registration. ALL players must complete this before starting the season.
- Uniform Requirements:
- Navy blue shorts, SGHS PE Top. Rugby boots and a mouthguard are also compulsory uniform requirements as per the NZ Rugby rules. If you need assistance in sourcing/purchasing any of the uniform requirements please contact Teacher in Charge; Nathan Muir.
- Transport: Students and staff involved will be transported by GOBus to and from the venues, with a drop off to Enwood House if required. Face masks are to be worn by all staff and students while travelling inside the school bus.
- Other Information: We take injury prevention at Southland Girls High School very seriously and a major part of that is the disclosure of injuries from players, families and whanau. If your child has sustained an injury, no matter how minor we need to know about it so we can respond appropriately through our training and games. If you require any further information about identifying and managing injuries please follow the link: https://www.rugbysmart.co.nz/
- Cost: $55.00 per player – full payment due by Thursday 1 September 2022.
- Please note: Board financial procedure requires payment in full, by the due date for your child to purchase resources, participate in sports or attend trips/events. Payments received will be allocated to the oldest unpaid fees and charges owing on your child’s account first. Extra-curricular activities operate on a “pay before you play” policy.