Arts at Southland Girls' High
Our Arts curriculum reinforces the tradition of excellence in the visual arts and music and incorporates the new disciplines of dance and drama. Girls have the scope to explore and develop their talents and creativity, engaging in performance and achieving to high levels.
- An audition entry choir: auditions are held week three of Term 1 and involve singing in a group situation.
- The choir involves a year long obligation for its members.
- Year 7 and 8 students are eligible to audition.
- The Junior Choir perform at Open Night, Music Festival, in the Community, Assemblies and Prizegiving.
Junior / Senior Production with Southland Boys' High
- Senior Production for Year 11 to 13 students takes place in Term 2 and Junior Production for Year 7 to 10 in Term 4.
- Southland Girls' High School are in charge of Junior Production for 2008 while Southland Boys' High School will be in charge of Senior Production.
- Productions are staged at the Centre Stage Theatre over a three night season.
- Students are notified of auditions through the school notices.
- Junior Choir participates in Invercargill Schools Sing Out in Term 3.
- Rehearsals start in Term 2.
Itinerant Music Lessons
- Whole Year obligation.
- There is a charge for lessons.
- These are added to your school account and cover materials, repairs and hireage of instrument.
Arts in Motion
- This takes place in Term 2 of each year.
- Year 7 - 13 students are welcome to audition.
- An entry fee is charged for participants to cover the running of the events as well as costuming and set creations.
- Year 12, in partnership with the Dance Department design the performance package.
- An annual event where schools get to showcase their Wearable Arts creations through a theme based story.
- Year 7 - 13 girls are able to audition.
- An audition entry choir: auditions are held in Term 4 for new members and again in week two of Term 1 of the following year for Year 9 to 13 students.
- The audition involves preparing a solo item, as well as having some ear tests and singing a harmony part.
- The choir involves a year long obligation for its members, each year members must re-audition for their position in the choir.
- Repertoire includes two and three part work, some of which is Acapella as well as choreographed numbers.
- Femme performs at Open Night, The Big Sing, in the Community, Assemblies, Colours and Prizegiving.
- In 2006 Femme won the best interpretation of a New Zealand Composition at their regional for the Big Sing, awarded by the NZCF Southland Branch. It was then invited to attend the NZCF Big Sing Finale in Auckland as a Guest Choir which is accepted with much excitement. The girls heard many stunning choirs as well as performing a number of recitals of their own and attending workshops by NZ and International Faculty. It was an amazing experience.
House Music & House Drama
- Organised by the House Captains for Term 3.
- This is an outstanding opportunity to share the cultural side of our school and enjoy the talents of our girls. It is a night of tremendous House Spirit.
- The event takes place in Term 3 with performances from House Choirs and House Drama Groups. An invited Adjudicator awards places and offers feedback. House points are awarded to participants.
- The House Music part of the evening involves sections including Solo Vocal, Group Vocal, Solo Instrumental and Group Instrumental. Auditions are held for these and those selected to perform on the night are judged by the Guest Adjudicator.
- This is run by the Community Prefects.
- It happens at lunch times throughout the year.
- Very popular and heaps of fun.
Sing Star Competition
- A great chance to show off your Sing Star skills.
- Organised by the Community Prefects.
- This is run in lunch times in Term 3.