The Wellington Branch of the SGHS OGA has been very well supported since the Inaugural Meeting took place on the 27th October, 1957. There were 50 Old Girls at the original meeting and six of the original members still attend meetings.
The Branch Committee arranges four gatherings a year - the Annual Meeting, a luncheon, a morning tea and a festive dinner prior to Christmas.
The Wellington Branch of SGHS OGA has donated funds to support the Winton Cup for 'Best All-Round Pupil' since 1959. The Winton Cup was originally presented to the school at the end of 1947 by three Winton girls who travelled daily by train from Winton to Invercargill - Yvonne Clark (now Kirkwood), Pauline Leach (now McKenzie) and Iris Egerton.
Gifts to the School
In addition to the annual donation accompanying the Winton Cup, the Wellington Branch has made many gifts to the school over the years including a chair for the school foyer, an Oral Archive entitled 'Highlights of conversations with Janet Pack', a wall sculpture by Patti Meads and a painting by Lorna Ellis.
New members are always made very welcome - please contact the President c/- SGHS 328 Tweed Street, Invercargill.